Monday, May 19, 2008

Newborn Fawn in NW Gladwin County

Yesterday afternoon, I came home to a pleasant little surprise. This doe was on our lot with a newborn fawn. Shortly after I took this picture, she ran off.
I couldn't resist going over and investigating.
At first the little guy started walking towards me. He saw my movement and must have thought I was his mother. He was "bahing" like a little sheep as he walked towards me. I can imagine that a newborn's eye sight isn't so great, right after they are born.
He kept coming closer.
.... and closer!


After he got within just a few feet of me, he realized that I wasn't his mother! He stopped in his tracks and tried to play "invisable".
Needless to say, I took a bunch of pictures! Who could resist?


This is where I left the little guy. He decided it was okay to snuggle down next to the log. I left and checked back about 1.5 hours later and he was gone. Mom came and took him to a safer location.

I never touched him. When you see a baby deer, it's wise not to get your scent on him/her. In the wild, fawns do not carry any scent. You want to keep it that way, to protect it.

No comments: